Sunday, October 30, 2011

Holland...

No, this is not in Holland- Bryan & I went to Steamboat last weekend for a "babymoon" and I thought I'd share a picture of my "bump". I am currently 25 weeks pregnant & have 15 to go. Although, I will probably be scheduled for an induction a week early depending on how Ellery/I am doing.

I found this poem on another families blog that have a baby with CDH and I thought it kind of describes how I am feeling:

I am often asked to describe the experience of raising
a child with a disability--to try to help people who
have not shared that unique experience to understand
it, to imagine how it would feel. It's like this...

When you are going to have a baby, it's like planning
a fabulous vacation trip--to Italy. You buy a bunch
of guidebooks and make your wonderful plans. The
Coliseum, the Michelangelo David, the gondolas in
Venice. You may learn some handy phrases in Italian.
It's all very exciting.

After months of eager anticipation, the day finally
arrives. You pack your bags and off you go. Several
hours later, the plane lands, the stewardess comes in
and says "Welcome to Holland."

"Holland?!" you say. "What do you mean, Holland? I
signed up for Italy! I'm supposed to be in Italy.
All my life I've dreamed of going to Italy."

But there's been a change in the flight plan. They've
landed in Holland and there you must stay.

The important thing is that they haven't taken you to
a horrible, disgusting, filthy place, full of
pestilence, famine and disease. It's just a different
place.

So you must go out and buy new guidebooks. And you
must learn a whole new language. And you will meet a
whole new group of people you would have never met.

It's just a different place. It's slower-paced than
Italy, less flashy than Italy. But after you've been
there for a while and you catch your breath, you look
around, and you begin to notice that Holland has
windmills, Holland has tulips, Holland even has
Rembrandts.

But everyone you know is busy coming and going from
Italy, and they're all bragging about what a wonderful
time they had there. And for the rest of your life,
you will say, "Yes, that's where I was supposed to go.
That's what I had planned."

The pain of that will never, ever, ever go away,
because the loss of that dream is a very significant
loss.

But if you spend your life mourning the fact that you
didn't get to Italy, you may never be free to enjoy
the very special, the very lovely things about
Holland.

written by Emily Perl Kingsley

Too bad I am not really just going to Holland though...

In other news, I have another ultrasound- this time with my new team- this week at University hospital. I will also be meeting again with my high risk OBGYN who will be delivering Ellery. Then on the 8th I will have the MRI and the Heart Echo of the baby. I will then meet again with the neonatologist at Children's Hospital. Please pray for Ellery to have a healthy normal heart and to have lung growth. Thank you all so much for your thoughts and prayers.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, I can't stop crying. That was very touching. I imagine it would be difficult to put that perspective into words, but that was beautiful. I'm glad you shared that here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the update alyse. and you hardly even have any sort of bump yet!! impressive for baby #3. thinking of you guys and hoping for the best.

    ReplyDelete