Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Thank you...

I just wanted to thank everyone for their kind words and prayers. After I made the blog post on Sunday, I woke up Monday morning & just felt so much peace. I know that is from the power of prayer & I am so grateful for all of your prayers for our family.

I thought I'd give an update on where things stand as of now:

The last few days I have done nothing but research, research, research & I think I know more about CDH than most OB'GYNs. Seriously. It seems like not many people know too much about this. I am so thankful I was able to learn so much (thank you internet) and with all of this newly acquired knowledge I have been able to make lots of phone calls and get answers to the millions of questions I have had.

Yesterday I was able to speak with Dr. Yang who is the pediatric surgeon at Cardinal Glennon Hospital in St. Louis. I also was able to speak with a Dr. Gien, a neonatologist at Childrens Hospital in Denver. I was kind of amazed that these two super busy men would take time out of their day & speak with me and answer my questions.

Dr. Gien (from Denver) was SO amazing & SO comforting to speak with. He really gave me SO MUCH HOPE. He told me that they have seen 18 babies with CDH in the last 2 years and of those, 17 have survived! Amazing! Also, 75% of those babies had the liver up in the chest- just like little Ellery. He also told me that every baby should be given a chance and they would never tell any one that they should terminate their pregnancy. He told me that the numbers I was given do not determine survival or not, all they do is indicate how sick the child might be after delivery and what kind of ventilation, time in NICU, etc. they might need. What a relief. He was the most wonderful person I could have spoken to and told me I need to enjoy this pregnancy because the odds are I will be taking home a baby after this is over. I told him I wanted to hug him.

So, our plan is to meet with Dr. Gien and his team at Children's Hospital sometime next week. Then we will have more ultrasounds, a heart scan and a fetal MRI. It will be a long road, but I am so thankful to have so much more hope and someone who is willing to fight for my Ellery.

My advice to anyone who is dealing with CDH is to ignore your Doctor & talk to someone in the NICU, the neonatologist or the pediatric surgeon. They are the ones that handle these babies, not the OB/GYNs. I wish I would have known that last week.

Thank you for all of your kind words & please keep our family in your prayers. We love all of you!

6 comments:

  1. happy for this hopeful update!! most of my family is now following your story (Brent, Teddy - who is expecting their first baby after YEARS of trying, my parents, etc.) we are all pulling for Ellery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am Tami and Teddy's Mom. I remember you well. We are praying for a miracle for your family. I know miracles happen in our day via the Priesthood. . We are also blessed to live in a day of modern medical miracles and amazing technology. I love the name Ellery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alyse - what a blessing. I am so super happy for the hope Dr. Gien is able to share! That is one great doctor and you deserve hope! It sounds like the prospects are looking up. You are still in our prayers. Anxious to see you and hug you my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad you found someone who knows what they're doing! Good for you for being proactive about this. We will keep your little Ellery and your family in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Alyse, I just found out the news about your sweet Ellery. Please know you have another friend praying for you and your family. Thank you for posting that lovely quote from President Ucthdorf about hope. What an amazing person you are, and how lucky I am to call you friend! With much love and best wishes to you!! xo Alexis

    ReplyDelete
  6. You advice is very true - My perinatlogist and OB, both talked about termination and gave MUCH lower survival rates than what is actually true. My "40% chance of survival" baby is now a perfectly healthy 15 month old with just slightly smaller than normal lungs. The surgeon, the neonatalolgists- they gave me much more hope...and at the end of the day, I knew she was always in HIS hands regardless. The percentages are meaningless. I've seen babies given a 1% chance of survival make it. Sounds like you will be in excellent hands with these Doctors.

    ReplyDelete